Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Growing Pains

Well the day that I've prayed for strength for since Trey's diagnosis finally came and wouldn't you believe...I was "mush" and failed miserably! Five minutes before the bus and Trey's asks me what I eat to make my bones grow. I have him on the counter, tying his shoes when I am taken back by his question. I look him in the eye only to see these huge crocodile tears forming. I am at a lost for words and instead of coming up with a great answer and digging deep to find the strength he needs me to have in this moment...I too begin to tear up. He continues with explaining to me that the kids at his school aren't nice to him and that they call him short and little and that he doesn't want to go to school any more! I give an acceptable answer, explain that he can't quit school, dry the tears and off to the bus stop we go. As luck would have it the questions came again as we waited for the bus. This time Trey asked how my bones grew so big and without giving me a chance to reply he said he had bad bones and that he didn't like his bones. I have no idea how I got him on the bus that day because it took all that I had to hug him and hold him to keep him out of harms way and to try to make it all ok.
As soon as the boys got on the bus, I jumped in my car and drove up to school to tell Trey's teacher about his concerns...I broke down in tears but felt so much better letting her know how Trey was feeling and hearing from his teacher that she feels that the kids are extra nice to Trey and we both agreed that the height comments are just 5 year olds' voicing their observations with no harm intended. I was so relieved to receive an email in the middle of the day from Trey's teacher saying that he was having a great day, that she expressed Trey's concerns to the other kindergarten teachers and that the kids were being extra, extra nice to Trey today.
How do you brace yourself for this? What are the right answers? What answer is "enough"? I am so sad to think that this is just the start of the rest of Trey's life and all the let downs that will come with the realization that his dreams and wishes will have to be re figured as he won't be able to play sports like his brothers nor will he be able to be a police man like his daddy...heartbreaking to say the least.


Goodnight sweet heart, it’s been a long day.

No comments: