Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Figuring it all out

So here I sit waiting for the UPS truck with Trey’s next shipment of medicine…thinking it would be a perfect time to clean the house, work out or maybe even throw dinner in the crock pot but no, instead to me it is the perfect time to update Trey’s blog and just the therapy I need to clear my mind.

Trey’s first week of Kindergarten has gone so well. I have been in contact with Trey’s teacher, the principal of the school, the nurse, the student services coordinator and the physical therapist for the school and together we have come to a few conclusions and made the following modifications;

1) Trey is having a hard time making the long walk from the bus to the playground and from the classroom to the cafeteria. We have decided to do like I do every morning and every afternoon to and from the bus stop, which is to provide Trey with a trike to help him with walking those longer distances. The teachers and administrators are a help in facilitating Trey’s needs but it is the mom’s of other MPS IV children that have been a God send to me. Eddie’s mom, Jeni has helped me with Trey’s transition from preschool to Kindergarten as Eddie is just one grade ahead of Trey in school. She has been so helpful in remembering every modification that was made for Eddie to make his Kindergarten experience as pleasurable as possible. I am so lucky that last school year is still so fresh in Jeni’s memory, thank you for that. Also, thank you Dawn (Bekah’s mom) who just attended an MPS conference in Seattle and was able to pass along some very good information that was distributed to her about 504’s for little people (in other words, making the parents as well as the school staff aware of the areas of consideration for children of short stature/handicaps). I forwarded the information to those same above mentioned “important people” in Trey’s school life so that they would be aware and on the same page as myself. What would I ever do without the parents who have been here before me?


2) The step stools are on their way and will be used under the water fountains, the sinks in the rest rooms and under his chair in the classroom (the “step chair” has been permanently moved to the cafeteria for Trey).

3) We are now exploring the “handicap buttons” on the doors in all public areas. I recall that Trey can stand on his tippy toes and reach them but I’ll have to check that one out again before we have then all lowered.

4) The handles to the restrooms have been lowered

That’s about all the updates I have about school daze for Treybo. For me, it’s been a much harder transition than I thought it would be. I want to explain to each of the children who ride Trey’s bus why he takes so long to get up the steps (it breaks my heart watching him struggle with this), why he’s in a seat belt and why they constantly have to wait for him coming and going, I’m awaiting the ‘green light’ from Trey’s teacher to address his class on why Trey is so “Special”, I’m in contact with someone at school daily on Trey’s needs, and now I have the time to chat on a MPS forum in regards to Trey’s disorder and how to accommodate him and his care. It seems to be the topic in my head from the time I wake up to the time I fall asleep at night and because of it, I am more tired than when Trey was home with me everyday (go figure).


Mike and I both agreed that it is so much easier to have Trey around us than away from us. When he is with us we don’t have time to worry about, research, or wonder, we are just HAPPY! Trey make’s all of us laugh, smile and remember to never take life for granted…he is our angel on earth and we cherish his presence.

No comments: