Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What a Week!!!


It’s been a week since we’ve been home from the hospital following Trey’s knee surgery and boy o’ boy has he been busy! Trey has worked so hard at physical therapy since he’s been home. He’s gone twice last week and will fit in three sessions this week.
Mrs. Stacy expressed to me on Friday that Trey shouldn’t be carried around by me everywhere we go but instead he should attempt to scoot himself around on his bottom. I was also told not to sit him on our couches because he’s not sitting up straight and that she noticed that Trey’s core was much weaker because of it.
Over the weekend Boot Camp 101 began! I had to give Trey a lesson in tough love and really push him to try things on his own so that he didn’t regress from all the progress he made in physical therapy last week. Trey was one tough cookie and really stepped up to the plate! He went from walking with being almost totally supported by me to holding on with only one hand, walking from chair to chair to today walking ALL BY HIMSELF!!! Also today, at physical therapy Trey was working on building his strength; he walked up steps, stood from a sitting position, threw the ball and even pushed Mr. Mike around the gym on the rolling chair…that was so funny to watch!

Yesterday Trey also began his summer tutoring lessons with Mrs. George. Trey loved it so much he begged me to call Mrs. George at 10pm last night to make another appointment with her today…needless to say, that didn’t happen. I am so pleased to know he is excited to read with Mrs. George and am encouraged by her feedback after only a one hour lesson. I’m sure tomorrow will go just as well.

Mike and I are so happy with the decision we made to have Trey’s knee surgery earlier rather than later. If Trey keeps progressing at the rate he is, he will start the 1st grade with no signs of ever having bi-lateral knee surgery just 6 weeks prior!
Next week we have an appointment to see Dr. White for our two week follow-up but first things first, we are headed to Peter Piper Pizza tomorrow as promised…Trey is one deserving little man!

OH MY GOSH...so in Trey's world I must have taken too long to write this entry because he became impatient waiting for me to see the coloring book he made me as I sat at the computer and unbeknown to me, got up from his chair with the coloring book in hand and walked all the way over to me to show me his work...Hooray Treybo, Mommy is SOOOOOOO PROUD OF YOU!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Big Trey, you are so independent and strong! You set the bar for braveness and tolerance. Love you more than words can say!! Auntie