Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Good Day Afterall!

Thursday, June 09, 2011
So the beginning of today day was a much different day for us. Trey has decided that he can’t move. He acts like he is stuck in the seated position and wines when he is touched…anywhere! I keep telling him he didn’t have surgery everywhere, only his knees but he is still afraid to move. I tried to bribe him with a trip to Peter Piper Pizza at a later date if he would try to stand up but with no success. Drake and Broc heard my proposition and instantly started trying to talk Trey into standing so they too could go for pizza.
Soon I hear Trey crying and turn around to see Drake and Broc taking a hold of Trey under his arms in an attempt to get him to stand. Ok, so that backfired! I had to change my requirements to asking Trey to walk 5 steps before going for pizza…no such luck!
I remembered that Trey had PT today and was worried that with his screaming and crying that he may disrupt the office so I decided to call Mrs. Stacy to warn her about Trey’s mood and lack of willingness to attempt walking or even laying down flat on his back for that matter. Mrs. Stacy said if Dr. White said it was ok for Trey to attend PT today then I should bring him in.
I was so happy to hear that she was willing to take a stab at any type of PT with Trey today because I was worried that he may become stiff if he stayed in the seated position for too long. Plus I figured that he would try much more for Mrs. Stacy and Mr. Mike than for “mom”! I was right, Trey was a ‘Pro’ in PT today and not only did he lay on his back, he also kicked his legs out, stood while being held (put pressure on both legs) and even let go of Mr. Mike’s hands and stood unsupported for a few moments! What started out to be a bummer of a day for progress, ended up being an exceptional day…Thank you Spectrum Spine and Sport!
Trey has had lots of visitors over the past two days. He loved seeing his best-est buddies, Gabe and Kian and was very excited to see his cousins this evening but after such a strenuous workout, he fell fast asleep minutes before they arrived.
It was so adorable how they all handmade “get well”’ cards for Trey and positioned them around Trey as he slept so that when he woke up he would know they were there and cared about his well being. The kids were so happy to see Trey wake up just before they were about to leave, each one of them sat beside him and read their cards and words of love. Trey was still feeling the side effects of his pain medication and never really did engage them. After the pain med’s wore off, I re-read the cards to Trey and got big, big smiles out of him as their loving sentiments warmed his heart and soul.
Blessed is Trey to have such adoring cousins, friends and family…he is oh, so treasured! Out heartfelt thanks go out to all who have left messages, texts, email (my facebook page is "on fire"), etc. I pass on the love by reading them all to Trey.
Today was a good, good day after all!

No comments: