Wednesday, December 21, 2011

You Deserve It!

December 19, 2011

My high school friend Tammy Safriet-Carlin (and owner of Pearl Sushi) adopted Trey and a family from their church for this years Annual Christmas Adopt a Family(s) at Pearl Sushi Lounge and Bomber Bar. After she held the fundraiser for Trey in October and learned about MPS, she really wanted to help/adopt another MPS family this Christmas. I told Tammy about Darla and her two children, Justin and Kiana and how much they could use the help this Christmas...esp since they too will begin weekly travels to and from Oakland. Without hesitation, Tammy adopted the two of them and was very pleased to do so. I decided not to tell Darla a word about the fundraiser as it took place throughout the month of December at the restaurant.
Yesterday Tammy and I, four of her kids and my three all surprised Darla with two Chase gift cards loaded with money on them to spend as she wishes. Darla was so stunned and even emotional (as you can imagine). I can't thank Tammy, her husband Jimmy and the employees of Pearl (my big brother Stevie too) for holding this fundraiser and adopting Trey, as well as Justin and Kiana this year.
It felt so amazing to walk away from their home knowing what that "gift" meant to the three of them. I can't imagine how special is must feel for Tammy to have the means to be so generous to so many so often...I got to feel (on a larger scale) what it means when they say it's better to give than to receive.

*We are headed up to Pearl in Saturday so that Tammy and my brother can present Trey with his extra special gift from Pearl...more on this to come!

No comments: