Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Treatment is HERE!


Trey and I flew back to Oakland this past Tuesday and had a very successful trip. Trey has become a California Pizza Kitchen (CPK) junkie so off to CPK for the 3rd time in a week we went. He and I enjoyed dinner and completed our date night at the movies (to my surprise, we both loved the movie Reel Steel). We also shopped (again)...this time he got a "Cal Bear" football, some candy and decided he likes Stanford too, so now, he and Drake have matching Stanford Cardinal t-shirt's.
In between all the fun Trey finalized his "baseline" for the study and was the very bravest patient that ever was. Infusion #1 (actually #zero per the trial) is now complete and I have to say that it went so much more smoothly than it did when we went through infusion #1(for Trey's misdiagnosis)back in 2008. Trey was a bit apprehensive this morning before the port stick and the IV line was drawn, for no matter how much I tried to prepare him and how many times I attempted to jog his memory about how he had done this before, I had to keep in mind that he was only 2 1/2 the last time he went through all of this.
Because I have been "flushing" Trey's port for the last 3 1/2 years and was witness to each and every one of the year of infusions he had previously gone through, I believe this was much easier on me as I knew what to expect and actually felt like I could have done it all myself. Low and behold, Trey was super calm and extremely patient with the 9 hour day of "research". Mrs. Jackie, Trey's nurse, explained every step of the process to Trey and even let him draw his own labs (blood)...Trey was a pro.
For whatever reason (or as many as the FDA feels there are), we are being prepared to undertake flying to Oakland every Thursday for a year as opposed to the 6 month time period we were first told when the details of this trial began. I know I've said this before but Trey is my HERO and with him by my side and seeing how fearless he was today, be it 6 months or a year this too we can endure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A HERO HE IS~!!! To have endured this for his lifetime already, and to have the patience is awesome~! As the Lord says in 1JAMES 1:2-4 "Consider it all joy,my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have it's perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing"

With the experiences that Trey has endured, his strength and patience is exhibited in his personality and spirit. May God bless you all in your lives, for the examples of faith that you have shown all of us. Love Always, Aunt V