Thursday, October 20, 2011

Infusion #2... and all is Well


We did it! Today was our fist experience with traveling up to Oakland and again back down in a day. The entire day was a blessing. To write about all the good that happened to us would take pages so I’ll just summarize so that everyone get’s the just of our ‘happy day’! Because the details of our executive town car service to and from our door step weren’t finalized yet, I drove us to the airport. The drive was a good opportunity for me to talk to Trey again about what,when,where and why we are going on an airplane...again! Trey’s spirits were so high that he really didn’t have any problems with those minor details...I think he was just happy to be going to “mommy’s work” (Southwest Airlines), just he and I.


Before boarding I offered to buy Trey a bagel and cream cheese (one of his favorite morning eats) to which he replied, “No thank you, how about a cinnamon roll”...who could blame him or his nose, that place smells delicious! I was worried that the sugar high Trey was about to experience was going to make for a rough plane ride but to my surprise, Trey was asleep before the door of the plane closed and remained sleeping the entire flight-blessing #1.


Ali, our driver in Oakland, has become a familiar face to us and am happy to report because he is such a pleasant man. Ali offered to take Trey to the local bagel shop, knowing how much Trey loves his morning bagel...how genuinely kind is that?-Blessing #2.

Trey’s infusion again went so smoothly, no delays, perfect stick of his port,no tears,excellent vitals throughout, no reaction-Blessing #3.

Today was Trey’s first infusion with the infusion nurse, Mrs. Jane. We got to meet Jane last week and were told that she would be Trey’s nurse from here on out but today we also go to “experience” her. We both love Jane already and I know she is smitten with Trey as well. She even remembered from meeting Trey last week that he liked the “Bears” so she brought him a banner from last weekends football game. Mrs. Jane and her husband are both Alumni to which she informed us that she would be getting Trey lots more “Bear stuff” knowing he likes “her” team so much-Blessing #4.


Trey and I experienced a 4.2 earthquake in the middle of his infusion on the 2nd floor of a swaying hospital and lived to tell about it –haha!-Blessing #5.

Because Treys’ infusion went so well, we had a lot of time kill before our flight. Trey really,really want to make an art project in the craft room up in the day hospital. After creating an art masterpiece, Trey asked me how to spell Mrs. Jo Ann’s name so that he could add it to his work and give it to her to her to make her happy. Mrs. Jo Ann was tickled pink at Trey’s gesture and couldn’t thank him enough. She also bragged to each hospital staff that passed her by about how she had received this beautiful art project from her friend, Trey. Trey was so proud of his doings and just a happy as Jo Ann was to have his work being shown off!-Blessing #6.


Although our flight home was delayed, Trey made the most of our time in the airport and met a very nice gentleman whom shared his “Talking Tomcat” I-pod app with Trey the entire time we waited for our late plane. Trey got a real kick out of the interactive game and made a fast friend. Come to find out, this gentleman flies up to Oakland every Monday and home on our same flight every Thursday...and as he walked off the plane in Phoenix and bent down to say goodbye to his little buddy Trey, he also informed us that he was a doctor!-Blessing #7.

Did I mention that Trey slept the entire flight home as well?-Blessing #8

This part is random but I will tell you all about it anyway because it is so touching. Trey and I pre-boarded the airplane so we were already situated when the other passengers began to board. The nicest lady sat next to Trey and I. As other’s began to board, I had noticed a very, very cool bracelet on one’s ladies wrist and commented to her how I thought so. As Trey and I were awaiting his stroller in the jet way, that same lady approached me, took off her bracelet and handed it to me telling me she felt compelled to give it to me. I was dumbfounded and has hard as I tried to deny her gesture, she insisted. Before we left the airport, I took Trey to the restroom and who did we run into but that same lady who gave me the bracelet. She asked me about our travels to which I gave her a brief reason for being in Oakland for the day. I saw the tears well up in her eyes, she leaned forward to hug me and said she knew there was a reason she was drawn to Trey and I-Blessing #8.

As we were leaving the restroom, we ran into the lady that sat next to us on the flight. Instantly she noticed that familiar bracelet on my wrist so I told her about the lady and the accompanying story...she too began to cry and thanked me for telling her that story as well as expressed that it gave her a great feeling inside about people in general and that there are still good in most!-Blessing #9.

Trey fell fast a sleep on the drive home and when we finally arrived home at 9:50pm, Mike was awake to greet us at the door, take Trey and put him down to bed where he slept for the remainder of the night. Trey woke up for school the next morning like business as usual.-Blessing #10-sleep,#11-getting to see his daddy at the end of a long day, and #12-he is one resilient kid!

No comments: