Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Successful Surgery!

7:00am We waited until the last possible moment to wake up Trey for his ear surgery this morning. We are to report to the surgery center at 7:30 with a surgery start time of 8:30. Mike and I decided to talk to Trey last night about what was going to happen to him today. It seemed that Trey’s biggest fear was the “mask”. We seemed to settle his nerves before he went to bed but at least this way it won’t come as a complete surprise to him.
Wouldn’t ya know…the nurse that had us fill out our pre-op paperwork also offered Trey “flavors” for his mask. Trey’s face lit up as he went through the “chap stick” flavors to find his favorite. Mike also put it to Trey like this (in a very kind way), “the mask or a shot”. I think Trey was more than happy to have the mask over the shot when given the two options.


As we waited, Trey was so good, he watched all the other kids as if he were an old pro. Mike and I think the apprehension was due to the fact that Trey was nervous. Of course the older he get’s the more in tune he is to what is going on around him.

As doctor Fucci came to take Trey to surgery, I set him down hoping he would take the doctors hand and like a brave little boy he would walk away…NOT SO MUCH!

Trey’s knees buckled, the doctor picked him up as Trey cried out my name and reached for me…can you say heart wrenching? Following the surgery, Dr. Fucci came out to tell us that this time around he chose the titanium tubes for Trey because he felt they were less receptive to granule buildup and infection.

Once Trey began to wake up from the anesthesia we were allowed to be by his side. As Trey came to, he began to gag over and over (it was at this point that I was happy Trey had nothing to eat or drink since yesterday). The very first thing Trey did as he woke up was dig in his ear. The nurse had to tell Trey to keep his fingers out of his ears; Trey was very aware and obviously pretty uncomfortable.

As a result of his digging, Trey had pushed the cotton swab that was in his right ear pretty far into his ear canal. Dr Fucci had to come in and fish out the cotton ball for us (I think I could have done it but I figured since doctor Fucci was already the bad guy, I’d let him do it; it was my job to wallow in the love of my cuddle bug). Also different from last time, Trey’s left ear was bleeding enough that we had to replace the cotton ball three times before it slowed down and we felt comfortable enough to leave and not worry.

On the drive home Trey was very restless and cried for his daddy (Mike headed to work after surgery). I wish Mike could have been in the back seat to hold Treys hand and comfort him but it seems Drake and Broc have that job pretty well covered-they were both so attentive and worried for their little brother.

We are thankful for answered prayers and that Trey woke up from the anesthesia without complications. We are now looking forward to a much quieter home and hopefully seeing some vast improvement in Treys Kindergarten skills of letter sounds – go figure.

2 comments:

Alison said...

I am glad that Trey's surgery went well. I am sorry that you couldn't be there for when he went to sleep. Every time the boys go under anesthesia I have been there and there when they wake (they have put to sleep many times so far. I hope Trey feels better soon. We are thinking and praying for him.

Anonymous said...

I am praising God with you.

Tom