Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I'm a Big Kid Now!


Day one of Kindergarten was actually a pretty easy morning for both Trey and I. As for Mike well, he always seems to take everything in stride. The boys had decided they wanted to ride the bus the from the get-go. Mike and I loaded them on with Trey in the front row in his 5-point harness seat belt and Drake and Broc the row behind (by making a few phone calls and getting the doctors in Minnesota to write a permission note, he was able to ride the same bus as his brothers)!!!
We followed the bus to school to know it's route and to help Trey to his new class. After hanging out with Trey for awhile and about 7 kisses later, I leaned in for one more kiss before leaving but was denied by Trey, saying, "that was enough". Mike and I left the classroom, I looked in at Trey being so big and independent and began to cry. Thank you Chantel (my friend who's daughter is also in Trey's class)for waiting for that moment to hug me, knowing that Trey is our youngest, our last, our baby.
So only the first part of the first day of Kindergarten day was that easy because come pm...chaos erupts. Rewind a few weeks at "meet the teacher night" when I had asked Trey's teacher how I should fill out the "transportation form". I explained that although the boys would be riding the bus, I thought Trey may have to ease into it and would want us to take him to school the first day or two.
Well, Mike and I decided not to push the issue and to let Trey decide on that first morning of school if he wanted us to take him or ride the bus. I should have known, Mr. Big Shot wanted to ride the bus with his brothers. So like I said, the morning went off with out a hitch but Trey's teacher didn't know that Trey took the bus this morning yet remembered that I had told her Trey would most likely go to parent pick up for the first few days...oops! I didn't confirm with Mrs. Dean that Trey chose the bus from Day 1.
Fast forward to 3:15pm...there we are, all ready for the bus to drop off all three of our kids. I've got my camera in hand and just can't wait to see Trey's face. Off come's Drake and next comes Broc but NO TREY! Drake and Broc were told that I came to school and picked Trey up so they felt okay to leave on the bus from school to home without him. I panicked for a moment, we all jumped in the car and off to school to get Trey. I had left my cell phone and home phone in the house while waiting on the corner for the bus (hey, I remembered the most important thing, my camera). In the meantime we missed all the calls from the school stating that they had Trey in the front office. I think they had called a total of four times (twice on each phone) so I thought Trey may be sad thinking we forgot him but NO...he was calm, cool and collected. Trey was completely fine, sitting next to a little girl and reading his new "homework" from his backpack.
We love the school the boys go to and having three Lane brothers in attendance, everyone knows us so I knew Trey would be safe but wasn't so sure about his state of mind...I guess I forgot that it's Trey were talking about here, ha-ha.
Well, now that that's over and all three of the boys are home safe and sound from Trey's first day of Kindergarten, Broc's first day of third grade and Drake's first day of fourth...what a great story to remember for years and years to come.

2 comments:

Lexi Ray said...

Yeah Trey You are such a big boy. And how cute are your brothers. Auntie lexi and Uncle Jake are so proud of all three of you. We love you guys. Gabe and Ammon send high fives your way. xoxo Much Love.

Anonymous said...

Oh Cami, I had no idea when we spoke tha t evening just how eventful Trey's day was! The funniest thing is he didn't want to talk to me or Bryan and you know he always dotes on Uncle....because he was busy "working" couldn't tell if he was doing homework as he's watched his brothers do immediately after school for the past few years or if he was helping Mommy in the kitchen while the boys did their homework which is a family tradition and value I love that you have created for them.

xoxoxoxo!

Cathy