Saturday, June 19, 2010

Day 1 - Minnesota


Taking a deep breath in…it is all becoming so uncomfortably close. Not two hours after arriving in Minnesota, the boys and I are eating lunch when the topic comes up about Drake and Broc heading up North to Granny’s…without Trey. I have talked to Trey about going to see his doctors in Minnesota but I think the talk’s about Granny’s house, her birthday and the birthday party over shadowed any other reason we would be in Minnesota. In this moment I also realize that we never told Trey that only daddy and I would be with him at his appointments. Trey is so sad that he isn’t going to Granny’s with his brothers and it is obvious that he doesn’t realize why. I tell Trey that we have to visit the doctor and he asks, “for daddy?” I tell him that we are going to see his nice doctors, his only concern is whether or not he would have to get a shot. Drake and Broc both chime in and tell Trey that he will have to stand real tall for a picture of his back as they both get up from the table to stand tall and show him how it’s done…the tension is broke when Trey asks if he has to be naked for the picture. Next Trey’s big brothers tell him that the nice doctors will take a picture of his tummy and put sticky stuff on his tummy too. Nothing is said by Trey other than him conveying again that he wants to be with his brothers. I am fighting back the tears wondering if this will be the moment that he asks, “why” but am rescued by the innocence of a child –two children, Drake and Broc as they change the subject and start talking about World Cup Soccer.
In a very selfish way I wish the older boys could stay with us through the week…believe it or not, to help ME. The boys relate to one another on the same level while I on the other hand, trip over my tongue not knowing what to say next and stumble over my emotions, trying with all my might to hold them back. I will never be ready for the day that I have to answer the question “why” but after today (crazy as it may sound) believe that with Drake and Broc by my side I will have the strength to get through that moment.

The night ended with Mike and his boys having a great time swimming in the hotel pool...Trey was so proud of himself to be able to float on the "noodle" all by himself.

No comments: