Friday, October 2, 2009

For YOU my Son


This very articulate letter was written by Mike to St. Joe’s Hospital Risk Management Team following our meeting with them last week. I am so happy to have this chapter of our lives behind us and to have been given the opportunity to voice our concerns with this institution. Telling our story was so cleansing to me and believe it or not, I am able to let go of the “bad feelings” towards these particular doctors and move forward for Trey. For this I thank whom ever it was who called in our complaint and got the “ball rolling” for Mike and I...in essence, for Trey.

We were able to tell our story to people that I believe cared to hear of our difficult experience and truly wanted us to know that this is not how they would ever want another family to go away from their hospital feeling. To be able to reiterate our account of the past year made me feel like we were fighting for Trey, (for all children) to be heard and express his/our “hearts” where he could never have done so for himself.

I pray that this letter has been forwarded on to Trey’s past doctors and that they will know the depths of our pain and how their lack of follow through and concern afflicted our family’s life. I pray that they will take from it what they will, accept the constructive critique and that another child in their care will benefit because of Trey and his story.

Thank you my sweet husband for this follow up letter and for expressing so flawlessly our position. Trey is very lucky to have a daddy like you 

I love you for loving our baby so completely, Cami


Hello,
Cami and I have discussed things further over the past two days since we all met again the other morning.
We truly hope that by sharing our experience at St. Joseph's Hospital; raises "administrative" awareness towards improving the nurturing component so integral to a medical doctors Hippocratic duty towards healing those entrusted to their care.
The past year and a half has been so difficult on my family. I hope both physicians can see it in their hearts to maybe empathize with the struggles and anguish Cami and I feel daily over the powerless reality surrounding our young child's crippling disorder. We needed and frankly deserved a more vigilant partnership with our doctors to which they were remiss in providing. We were frightened for our child and wanted help in wading through what often felt like an endless maze of closed doors. This degree of comfort quite often could have been satisfied by just a welcoming smile during a two-minute check-up once a week or even the re-assuring touch to Trey's shoulder while he rested during his treatments.
This note is not meant to rehash concerns previously discussed it's more of a plea that these highly trained professionals work to "conduct business better" and just remember how powerful words or often lack of words can be on a family praying for even the slightest sliver of hope.
Thank you again for the time provided to present our story to your work group and also in your efforts to quell some of our pain and frustration over the totality of everything.
Sincerely, Mike Lane

2 comments:

April said...

Mike and Cami,

My name is April, I'm Kim and Charlie Barrett's daughter. I'm a nursing student at ASU currently in my pediatric rotation. My mom has told me so much about Trey and what you all have been through over the years. I was wondering if you guys are ever in need of a babysitter? I do a lot of "date night" babysitting for other families around my area. I'd love to watch your boys sometime, free of charge of course. You can contact me at akb85@cox.net

Take Care,
April

Anonymous said...

Mike & Cami, this was truly the Lord working in your lives. Your ability let go of the “bad feelings” and move forward for Trey is such an example of what Christ would have done and who He wants us to be.

Your humility and spirit amaze me.

Love you both so much,

Auntie Cathy