Tuesday, July 28, 2009

LIKE A PRO


Business a usual was the look on Trey’s face as he woke up for his first day of preschool and continued that gaze onto his very first bus ride. This ‘strictly business’ look remained with him as we got ready, boarded the bus, walked to class and said our good-byes. I guess either of the alternatives could make a parent’s heart hurt – too happy to leave or so sad that he’d be crying, so neutral was ‘good’ – I guess. Anyway, the first day left tears in my eyes (go figure), filled with so many emotions and questions. Would the kids be nice to Trey?, would he make new friends?, would he be teased for a multitude of reasons? All the concerns any parent would have about their child as they send them out into this cruel world except multiply those possibilities X’s 10 with a child of special circumstances.




Mike and I followed the bus to school, watched as Trey got off the bus and followed behind him as he walked to his class – not once did he show emotion, it was as if he’s done this a million times before. We were able to see Trey be shown which cubby to put his backpack into each morning (wouldn’t ya know it’d have to be at the top) sit in a circle and be directed to sit ‘criss-cross-apple-sauce’ – thanks to all the physical therapy, Trey was able to sit in this position like all the other children (just another thing that could have separated him from the “norm”), and sing their morning song. I was so proud of Trey for being so ready for his big day. Once again I said a prayer that this would be the start of “something good” for our baby.





After I dropped Mike off at work, I headed to the store to buy Trey a smaller sized backpack (you may notice from the pictures his was way too big for his little self). I’ve made a special place down one of our hallways for each of the boys to hang their back packs, and added dry erase boards to make notes of each of their weekly happenings (should come in very helpful when I am out of town). Trey was so happy to see me putting this together when he returned home – and being hung at a level he could negotiate.

11:04 came about so soon but like an anxious mom, I was again outside with my camera ready for the moment when Trey’s eyes would meet mine and he would show a sign of happiness or of being proud that he accomplished his first day of school like a “big boy”, just like his brothers…that moment came, and I am so happy to say that I captured the moment. My heart filled with pride as my head confirmed that we are doing the right thing.






Here’s to a great 2009-2010 school year!
PS- If you noticed the man in the photos taking pictures... Well he was taking pictures of our little celebrity for an upcoming article in the AZ Republic.

3 comments:

Sherri said...

How exciting! He does seem "like a pro". He's such a cutie!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Trey . . . and mom. Do you have the book "The Kissing Hand?" It is about going off to school. It is one I am sure you would like if you don't have it already. You are always in my thoughts - Wendy Blair

Rachel said...

He looked so handsome heading off to school on the bus and everything. It sure was hard the 1st time Bella heading to school back in Nov 2007. Her 1st day in preschool she was wearing a halo from her cervical fusion! Of course it didn't stop her. Look forward to hearing more about Trey and the rest of the family and becoming friends and supporrts to each other as we deal with all the craziness in our lives.
Rachel burton
www,caringbridge.org/visit/bella04
P.S. ergburton1@caringbridge.org is my email if you want to chat!