Thursday, November 3, 2011

A New Friend!


Today's flight was same ol' same ol' and since all the previous ones have been successful...we'll take it! Trey slept the entire flight and woke up raring and ready to take his ride to the hospital. Before we even got up to the day hospital we had the pleasure of running into Mike,Erin, Sadie and Evie!
I was so excited to have Evie by Trey's side (and vise versa) for today's infusion. The kids became fast friends. Today was Evie's very first infusion so after she watched Trey get accessed(from afar)
he invited Evie to play a board game with him and they did, play PlayStation and she was "in", share Halloween candy, and she accepted. To add to their pure (sugar) joy, Erin bought the kids some gummy worms so they could have a game of 'stuff the gummy worms', to see who could stuff the most in their mouths at once...they retreated to their own bed's (#9
and #10) for lunch and then watched movies in Evie's bed for the rest of the day. Oh, I almost forgot to tell ya' that they even took their medication (to decrease any allergic reaction they may have to the enzyme therapy) together. Evie's little sister, Sadie also joined in on the fun and had a great time playing the "tickle game" with Trey.


As we were getting ready to leave I was checking out Erin's I-pad and decided to check on our flight status. I'm so glad that I did because to my surprise, the flight was running almost two hours late. I was so thankful of the "study" to allow Trey and I to change our tickets to an earlier flight...although it wasn't a non-stop, it was on time and arriving a tad bit earlier than our original flight (had it been running on-time). As luck would have it, the limo company assumed Trey and I were on the original flight and didn't have us scheduled to be picked up from the airport until 11pm! After a good hour and a half, I have to admit, I was "over-cooked" and...I lost it! I kept thinking that after all we went through to get home on time, to have Trey in bed by now was all for nothing. I think after five weeks of the physical and mental strain of flying back and forth for this study, I was more exhausted than I wanted to admit but my body gave out and my brain let loose and the tears began to flow.
Take note-this is where Trey stepped in and taught "Patience and Strength 101" to mommy. Trey noticed me crying and the first thing he thought was that I was on the phone with Mike and that Tate (our 14 year old golden retriever) had died. I thought to myself, the last time Trey saw me cry following a phone call was when we got the call from our dog sitter in Phoenix to us in Minnesota that Laci had passed. Once Trey realized that Tate was ok and that it was mommy that wasn't, he immediately asked if when we got home could he be given a paper and crayons to draw me a picture to make me happy. At this point I am feeling pretty guilty about being the sad one! Wasn't it HE who has been dealt this crappy hand? and wasn't it HE who has endured week after week of poking and prodding? and HE who is being infused with a trial medicine that will hopefully extend his life or at least the quality of it? Where in the world do I get off sitting here being the one sad and crying??? I got a quick lesson in "Strength and Patience" from a 6 year old and decided, once again...if Trey can handle all of this like a pro, who am I to let it affect me like it did tonight?
Dearest Trey-My HERO, I have told you this time after time, but again, I thank you for YOU and for teaching mommy so much about myself and for being the stronger of the two of us and for holding my hand and having my heart through it all!
A love like no other, Mommy

No comments: