Monday, July 25, 2011

Hooray for First Grade!

July 25, 2011

First grade is off to a great start for Trey. Trey came home from school after the first day and said, "I'm awesome at school, you know why mom?" Of course I had a million reason's why I think Trey is awesome but his was this, "because I never, ever get in trouble!"...ha-ha pretty funny seeing as it was only Day 1!
He loves his teacher, he loves his classmates and he absolutely loves being called a 1st grader! Oh, and how can I forget that he loves that his buddies, Josh, Kian and his new neighborhood friend, Brody whom all ride the bus with him...he is one happy camper!
For Mike and I however, the first couple week's of first grade has proven to be a challenge. After seeing the homework packet and the spelling test included, I began to feel that Trey was not at all prepared for this upcoming school year. My fear was that if he couldn't hear, how could he learn word sounds and read, let alone pass a spelling test? Not to mention Phase III of the clinical trials are here which will remove Trey from one day of class per week and have him coming to school that following day exhausted from travel to and from Oakland, CA the day before (Friday infusions are not an option as of now).
Needless to say I have had numerous conversations with the Special Services teacher at our elementary school, the district audiologist, Trey's teacher (who spoke with Trey's kindergarten teacher), and both ENT and audiologists. Whew! Let me tell you what a stressful week it has been! After all was said and done, it was made clear to me that although Trey does test at the lower end in reading and such, that I am not to worry. Yes, we have out work cut out for us but with the help of the hearing aids (which were ordered at the beginning of this week), over-the-top help coming from Mike and I at home and his spectacular teacher and Special services coordinator, we will work it out. I am not to worry until after Christmas break (if there is anything to even worry about when that time comes). I can't say that I am sleeping any easier but I do know that he is in very good hands. I'm praying that Trey will have his "A-haa" moment soon after the hearing aids go to work!
For now, Trey is happy and we couldn't ask for more than that!Josh, Brody, Trey and Kian... F-R-I-D-A-Y is here!!!

1 comment:

Cathy Angst said...

Hooray for Trey's 100% spelling tests!! Chills climb up my spine as I think of the "unleveled playing field" from which Trey had to start. Needless to say Trey has overcome the odds and obstacles that would cause most to raise a white flag, call it quits or call it a day. Trey continues to amaze me and exemplifies bravery, humility, strength and love. Love, a very proud AUNTIE C