Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Handprints



My Mother’s Day was so nice; the boys (the big one included) were all so good to me



Of course this day has turned into a very emotional one for me and to add to my own inner thoughts as I look in wonder at our three beautiful boys, I was given a card that Trey had made in preschool that sent me into a tailspin. Imagine knowing what we know and reading a poem such as this;



Sometimes I get discouraged

Because I am so small

And always leave my fingerprints

On furniture and walls.



So far so good, I actually thought at this point that this card was specific to Trey and that every child may have had their own poem.



But everyday I’m growing-

I’ll be grown up someday

And all those tiny handprints

Will surely fade away.



Okay, so I lost it! I fell to pieces wishing so badly that this could be true for Trey too. Drake and Broc didn’t understand why I was crying until they read the card and I’m sure you could imagine how the sweet smile on Trey’s face turned into a look of confusion. I was so amazed at how ‘grownup’ Drake and Broc were and the fact that they could comprehend my feelings of sadness as I tried to read Trey’s mother’s day card aloud. Trey in his usual fashion, landed a wet kiss on my lips, looked into my eyes and smiled.



The poem ended with;



So here’s a little handprint

Just so you can recall

Exactly how my fingers looked

When I was very small



I remembered these types of cards being the very best Mother’s Day gifts from Drake and Broc. I remember being so thankful that their teachers had the kids make handprints for me because it was something I hadn’t done since the boys were babies. This time around didn’t get the same reaction. I never thought something so straightforward like watching your child grow and admiring a simple handprint from them to recall how small they once were would bring about such sadness. I sat still praying silently that one day Trey too would grow and that one day I could compare his handprint from 2009 to one years later and be able to smile in amazement at how big all my boys have gotten. Please God hear my prayer

No comments: